Monday, October 7, 2013

On Democracy

I had a unique and informative opportunity last week to really see democracy in action, and contrast it with an alternative perspective.

I am a member of an organization that had an annual meeting that includes a session of review, debate, and voting upon a variety of topics. I sat in the audience next to a citizen of the UK and we were able to compare and contrast how the UK version of the same organization would handle the same topics. The open airing of the subject matter, the opportunity for all members to voice their thoughts, and the group voting were energizing and admirable. I was proud to experience true democratic ideals in contrast to the example situations where in the UK the same topics would never be aired or even acknowledged.

In this current environment where the US Congress seems bent on giving the democratic system a bad name, it was in no small way a heart warming experience. On the other hand, at the same time it was also more than a little horrifying.

It was E.B.White who said "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time." I am absolutely convinced that on one or two of the issues discussed in our forum more than half of the people were wrong. Scarily so (IMO) and it required me to explain a couple aspects of current American ('Murican?) society and the visible undercurrents that were perplexing to our visitor. I felt as if I was speaking about that cousin that embarrasses the family at the annual picnic. Correspondingly, I was sadden that these questionable ideas were given equal airing and credence (let alone support by the majority) in the discussion and vote. Certainly, our UK visitor (and I) got to see how there are also some benefits to a process with more executive decision making.

It was completely evident to me that there is no perfect solution. Democracy may, in fact, be the best of the worst. But it has issues, and that cannot be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment